Friday, October 1, 2010

let them eat cake... pops!

This week I finished up two very important projects; a wreath and tasty Cake Pops. One turned out successful, the other not so much. But I had fun doing both.

Harvest Wreath
A few weeks ago, I found this fabulous harvest wreath on marthastewart.com:

I had big plans for it to go in our dining room and hang over the mirror (like above). So here is the how to of my own Martha creation:


 Soak husks in water until pliable, about 10 minutes, and tear into 2-inch-wide strips. Bend 1 strip in half, and attach to wreath form with a U pin. Working from the inside of the wreath form outward, create rows of 4 or 5 strips. Circle the wreath form as you go, overlapping rows so pinned edges stay hidden.


I ended up hanging it on the door for all to see. I'm very happy with my little festive fall wreath and once again, Martha is a genius!

Cake Pops
I wish I would have researched Martha's advice on Cake Pops. This was my first time to make them and it was kind of hard. I showed a few starter pics on Monday's post. Mom and I baked and mashed a chocolate and a strawberry cake (actually, she baked, I mashed). Then, we added chocolate icing to the mashed chocolate cake and vanilla icing to the mashed strawberry cake. After that, we formed the cake into little balls. Then, we froze them. Wednesday night, I took the cake balls out of the freezer to complete the Cake Pop process...

Started my double boiler (I used a glass bowl over the pot method):

Then, once it was warm enough, I added the white chocolate. The double boiling kept the candy nice and melted.



Finally, I placed a stick in the cake balls to make Cake Pops and spooned icing onto each (Mr. B ran an errand so neither one of us were able to get good pics of the process).
They didn't turn out as planned - you can see the cake through the white chocolate.

I had high hopes for these little pens. I will never use them again. Terrible.

I was able to make my hubby a sample. This heart was the only legible design made by the pens.
I completed the Cake Pops and wrote a letter on each one to spell "CELEBRATE" for supper club last night. We ate cake in honor of Ryan and Jamie's birthdays. Such a blast and we enjoy our group so much! We enjoyed our first full year together. Missed you, Jeffrey family!

Looking forward to a busy weekend. Tomorrow morning, bright and early we will support the American Heart Association with the annual Heart Walk. Later, our fabulous sister and brother-in-law are coming over for dinner.

Have a blessed weekend and happy October 1!


2 comments:

  1. I love your wreath!! You are so crafty - jealous! :)

    Glad you have a blog - it's fun to keep up with you this way!

    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wreath is amazing!! I am so impressed!!!! Such a cute blog!

    ReplyDelete